Curler Icosidodecahedron


The curler units by Herman Van Goubergen are deceptively easy to make. In fact the basic units are easy to make since they involve creating a water bomb base and curling the 4 arms towards the centre. But putting them together into a ball takes time.

The curler units can be assembled into different spherical structures. A cuboctahedron (12 units), a rhombiccuboctahedron (24 units), an icosidodecahedron (30 units) are various structures that can be made from the curler units.

What I have tried out is the Icosidodecahedron, made of 30 units i.e., 12 pentagons and 20 triangles. Each pentagon is surrounded by 5 triangles and each triangle by 3 pentagons.

The curler unit assembly looks good whether it is done in a single colour or in an abundance of colours. I did mine with a mix of colours. I got bits of all possible colours that I have with me and made my curler units. And I really liked the colourful end result :)

Model Details:

Model: Curler Icosidodecahedron 

Creator: Herman Van Goubergen

Difficulty Level: High Intermediate

Paper Ratio: Square

Paper Size: 5 inches

Model Size: ~4 inches in diameter

Modules: 30

Instructions: British Origami

Tutorial: Youtube

0 comments :

Post a Comment