120 Unit Rhombic Icosahedron

The Rhombic Icosahedron from Tomoko Fuse's book 'Unit Polyhedron Origami' is folded from 120 rectangular units. The assembly of this model is a serious test of patience! Folding the units took me a couple of days - it is no joke folding 60 yellow and 60 blue units! Assembly took me nearly half a day, a whole lot of patience and the aid of a couple of toothpicks. I was so tempted to tear the whole thing when I was assembling the last few pieces. Only the thought of folding another 120 pieces kept from doing it :)

The model is very sturdy. Well, I had used 80 gsm paper, so that was a very good decision in my view. Before assembling the model, I completed the 12 5-unit yellow centers first. Then I proceeded to add the blue units in the 3 and 4-unit assembly. In fact, I think if I had assembled the 3-unit blue sets as well, that would have made it even easier.

Altogether, a good, challenging model for me. There is another 120-unit model made from concave units, which would be the inverse of this model. I hope to do it. Some time, hopefully in the near future!

Model Details:

Model: Double-sided Convex Hexagonal Ring 120 unit Rhombic Icosahedron 

Creator: Tomoko Fuse

Book: Unit Polyhedron Origami
 

Author: Tomoko Fuse
 

Difficulty Level: Complex

Paper Ratio: Rectangle in ratio 1:2

Paper Size: 3.4 inches by 1.7 inches

Model Size: ~6 inches in diameter

Modules: 120

Tutorial: Youtube

0 comments :

Post a Comment