Hydrangea Cube


Since of late I have recently been working on easy origami, I thought I would try out something a bit more challenging. This hydrangea cube was a good attempt and I am quite pleased with how it has turned out 😀

How to go about this? Well, we need to initially make 6 of Shuzo Fujimoto's hydrangea tessellations. In origami, tessellations are patterns that are usually folded from a single sheet of paper, that repeat themselves as many times as needed. They usually provide a dimensional appearance.

The hydrangea tessellation is one of the simpler designs. The paper that I have used is regular kami paper. The paper didn't tear while making all those sinks and pops!

Once the 6 hydrangeas are completed, it is just a matter of joining them in a cube. Joins are made by creasing a mountain fold along each of the longer petals, on all 4 sides. The creased corner can be slid into the adjacent hydrangea to hold it in place. Fitting the last of the 6 turned out to be very frustrating and I almost tore up the model! Only the thought that I would have to refold 6 hydrangeas, kept me from doing it!! 😄😄

And if you are the adventurous sort, you can also try the regular snooze assembly, made from 30 units!

Model Details:

Model: Hydrangeau Cube 

Creator: Shuzo Fujimoto

Difficulty Level: High Intermediate

Paper Ratio: Square

Paper Size: 8 inches

Instructions (for making a single hydrangea tessellation): British Origami

Tutorial: YouTube

Modules: 6

0 comments :

Post a Comment