Pyramid Box


For the very first time, Little Miss went on a trip without me! She had gone on a weekend trip with her grand parents and her uncle's family. Well, more heart-rending for the mom than for the daughter, I think! 😆

Anyway, during this trip, my wonderfully thoughtful little girl decided to buy something for my husband and for me. She put in a lot of thought into the gifts and we feel blessed to receive them. For my husband, she got a shirt in his favourite colour and for me, she bought some gorgeous origami washi paper in a variety of colours! I am truly touched.

So such a thoughtful gift required a well thought-out origami. So after a lot of research - and I assure you I did quite a bit of research - I decided to make this beautiful pyramid box by the wonderfully amazing Tomoko Fuse.

Absolutely love the way it has turned out. And Little Miss also liked what I finally came up with :) The model is taken from the book 'Origami Boxes' by Tomoko Fuse and is published by Tuttle Publishing. The first part of the book starts with a lot of variations to the traditional Masu box, followed by the Pyramid Box and finally, the Dome Box. Part 2 deals with modular boxes from square sheets of paper. Finally, Part 3 deals with modular boxes made from rectangular sheets of paper. It is a very good book, I thought, with a lot of colourful pictures to help one visualise better.

As for the Pyramid Box, each box is made from 2 sheets of origami paper, 6 inches squares. The steps are not very difficult to follow, though the final collapse when making the lid might prove a little challenging initially. A variation is also shown for the lid - that is the yellow box in the picture above. For the base, Tomoko Fuse has also kindly provided instructions for increasing the size of the base and also instructions to make it more sturdy. The base is, of course, easier to make than the lid.

Altogether, a good origami project to work on and I thought, a fitting use of some lovely washi paper.

Model Details:

Model: Pyramid Box

Creator: Tomoko Fuse

Book: Origami Boxes

Author: Tomoko Fuse

Difficulty Level: Low Intermediate

Paper Ratio: Square

Paper Size: 6 inches

Model Size: 2.5 inches across and 2.5 inches in height

0 comments :

Post a Comment