Magazine Holder - Newspaper Weaving


Happy New Year 2018! 365 new days, 365 new opportunities. Here's to hoping that we make good use of it. 

My first project this year is a woven magazine holder. This project has been in the works for a couple of months now - mainly because I wanted a very sturdy base, so that the holder would not topple over once a few magazines were placed. So after trying out a woven base followed by a cardboard base, I finally decided to use a wooden base - got a carpenter to cut out a 10 inches by 4 inches plywood and drill holes into it. I spaced the holes 1.5 cms apart. Then I covered it will some pretty paper that I had from one of my old origami projects. I hope you are able to make out the lined based in the pictures below. 




Naturally I used the colours from the base for the tubes as well - cream, light green and pink. The cream was the dominant colour and the light green was sparingly used. 

I also wanted to try out different types of weaving, so I ended up using this opportunity to do just that. The bottom most weave is the standard Rope Weave. This is the one that is the easiest for me. And I think this comes out the best, if I say so myself :) 

The next layer is for the Cotton Weave. This is generally the easiest weave. The one that everyone tries out first. But for some reason, I still haven't got the hang of this one! And I am still not comfortable with the weave. 


The third layer is a type of Openwork Weave. Not clear on the name. I used a mix of green and cream for this layer. This weave looks much better if this is the only pattern used, but mixed amidst all the other layers, I guess it loses the appeal. 

Finally, the last layer is the reverse rope layer. Since I needed to go back and forth with weaving this layer, this seemed the most practical. 

Tutorial links: 

I guess my post has been sufficiently long for the first post of the new year! Hope I get to make many more of these holders :) 

0 comments :

Post a Comment